Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:30:14 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia driver install-unable to read seeprom

On 11/20/04 03:16 PM, Stephen L. Martin sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:33:10PM -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > On 11/18/04 10:42 PM, Stephen L. Martin sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to install the nvidia-driver (1.0.6113_2) on
> > > 5.3-RELEASE. The installation fails and locks the computer, what
> > > looks like, right at the end. This is what happens:
> > >
> > > Install -o root -g wheel -m 555 nvidia.ko /boot/modules
> > > kldxref /boot/modules
> > > ===> lib
> > > ===> lib/GL
> > > ===> lib/libnvidia-tls
> > > ===> lib/libGLcore
> > > ===> lib/libXvMCNVIDIA
> > > ===> lib/compat
> > > ===> lib/compat/libGL
> > > ===> lib/compat/libnvidia-tls
> > > ===> lib/compat/libGLcore
> > > ===> x11
> > > ===> x11/driver
> > > ===> x11/extension
> > > ===> etc
> > > ===> doc
> > > ahd1: <Adaptec 39320 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> mem 0-0x1fff at device
> > > 10.1 on pci0 Unable to read SEEPROM
> > >
> > > At this point the whole machine is locked...can't even ping it...and
> > > this happens every time I try the install. Everything else runs
> > > fine...only this install is causing problems.
> > >
> > > Here's some relevant dmesg output:
> > >
> > > da0 at ahd0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > > da0: <MAXTOR ATLAS10K4_36SCA DFL0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
> > > da0: 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz, offset 127, 16bit), Tagged
> > > Queueing Enabled
> > > da0: 35074MB (71833096 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 4471C)
> > > ahd0: <Adaptec 39320 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> port
> > > 0xed00-0xedff,0xe000-0xe0ff mem
> > >  0xfe400000-0xfe401fff irq 16 at device 10.0 on pci0
> > > ahd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > > ahd1: <Adaptec 39320 Ultra320 SCSI adapter> at device 10.1 on pci0
> > > device_attach: ahd1 attach returned 12
> > > da0 at ahd0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > >
> > > And it's an Asus a7v880 board.
> > >
> > > The only strange thing I see in here is the "attach returned 12". In
> > > the handbook it says to try adding
> > > "hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1", but it looks like this was
> > > taken out in 5.3
> > >
> > > Anything else to try?...Any more info needed?....
> >
> > Am I missing the video card you have?  That would be a fairly
> > important bit of info. :)
> >
> > Also, do you already have Xorg or XFree86 running?
> > What does 'Xorg -configure' say the card is? - run that as root and it
> > will create xorg.conf.new in /root.  That will give an idea what the
> > card claims to be.
>
> Whoops...so I did...it's a Nvidia MX440-SE Dual Head AGP card. I do have
> Xorg and KDE both working fine...I need the nvidia driver for the dual
> monitor support.
>
> Also, I've found something else that causes the problem...when I try and
> do a "kldload snd_driver" the same symptoms happen (except a new mem
> address):
>
> ahd1: <Adaptec 39320 Ultra320 SCSI adapter mem 0-0x1fff at device 10.1
> [...]

Ok, how about the card config in your xorg.conf?  I found with my
GeForce FX 5200, the same card name and manufacturer worked just fine,
with just the different driver spec and other driver specific configs
like TwinView, etc.

Unfortunately, the "unable to read SEEPROM" message sounds like the
chip scan routine is having trouble reading the cards manufacturer
info off the chip.  Maybe it means that you're specifying a BusID that
isn't correct?  Have you run "scanpci" yet?  It gives me the exact
string and I need for my boardname config:

pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0322
 nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

Just for yuks, here's my card config for the twinview setup - make
sure you modify at least the BoardName and if need be, the BusID:

Section "Device"
     Identifier "NV AGP TwinView"
     VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
     Driver "nvidia"
     # update this with the PCI id of your card.  Consult the output
     # of the 'scanpci' command. The  BusID is usually optional when
     # only using one graphics card.
     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
     BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

     # These are extras, you may want to do without these at first.
     Option "NoLogo" "True"
     Option "RenderAccel" "True"
     Option "NvAGP" "0"
     Option "HWCursor" "True"
     Option "CursorShadow" "True"

     # twinview setup
     # make sure the sync/refresh rates and modes match your system
     Option "TwinView"
     Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31-80"
     Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"       "56-75"
     Option "TwinViewOrientation"    "RightOf"
     Option "MetaModes"      "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
     Option "ConnectedMonitor"       "crt,crt"
EndSection

There is only one monitor and one screen config section.  This section
handles the second monitor.

BTW, if you're not sure about the BusID, though I'm sure it's not the
cause, try matching the vendor and device hex values to the chip
values from the output of the 'pcitweak -l' command.  Or check the
output of your Xorg.0.log output, or just leave it out altogether
(since you only have one card).

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

O'Brian's Law:
  Everything is always done for the wrong reasons.