Date:      Tue, 2 May 95 12:03:42 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        sa2c@st.rim.or.jp
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp, jkh@morton.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Translators needed urgently!

> Translation from Kanji to Kana is not hard.  But Kata to Kanji is very
> hard.  Frequently, several Kanji word have same Kana pronounciation.
> For example, the word "雲" (cloud) and "蜘蛛" (spider)
> are translated to same Kana "くも" (pronounced [KU-MO]).

Must be a bugger writing about spider-shaped clouds in children's
books... must be why I don't remember any from "My Neighbor Totoro"
or "Peach boy Momo".  8-).

In English, these words are called homonyms (spelled and pronounced
the same but with different meanings).  It's a typical problem with
phonetic spelling systems; if spelled phonetically, you get a lot
more of them (rain/reign = \'r a-n\).

I guess I'm more interested in Kanji->Kana and Kana->Romanji translation,
since I can read Romanji fairly well, can read Kana about as well as I
read APL source, and can read only a small amount of Kanji (most of
that coming from reading Manga and watching Urasei Yatsura 8-)).

> Therefore the best way is that make a document of Kanji and Kana, then
> translate it to Roma-ji (ISO-8859-1).

I was thinking more in terms of partial automatic translation from
Japanese encode Kanji to English, with gramatical fixup from SOV
to SVO sentence structure and a couple of other issues to be handled
by a human for translation of documentation from Japanese contributors
to BSD so that they can work on their code instead of on translation.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.