Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 23:10:24 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "fg fg" <suserint@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "FBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ISP's callback

You have to tell the modem hardware to answer incoming calls using hayes
modem commands. After booting FBSD and before starting user ppp, enter tip
com1 or tip com2, this will connect you to the modem, enter ats0=1  0 is
zero, this will set register zero to value 1 which means to answer phone on
first ring. To exit tip command enter ~ followed by ctrl and d keys at same
time. This setting may trun off after powering off modem. In this case enter
ats0=1 them at&w0 to write current modem settings to internal rom, then
at&y0 to tell modem to use internal rom values at powerup.