Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:50:56 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Owe_J=F8rgensen?= <oweandre@stud.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager problem

Carl Gustavsson wrote:
> Owe Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> I recently installed FreeBSD on a Compaq ProLiant 350 and I
>> experienced similar problems.
>>
>> I urge you to take a look into the BIOS/Firmware on the Motherboard.
>> There you will have an option called Boot Device Order.
>> Make sure that the SCSI controller channel with that system disk is
>> set as the first boot device. Then you set up your OS to be of type
>> Other (in BIOS). Save and exit the BIOS. From now on, you stay away
>> from the BIOS.
>>
>> NOTE: You might want to disconnect ALL ide-disks (and CDROMs if you
>> have a SCSI cdrom) if you are reinstalling.
>>
>> Finish the installation, and power down. Reconnect all IDE-devices,
>> and boot up again. Continue to format and arrange the ide-drives as
>> desired.  Then install src distribution, recompile kernel and reboot.
>>
>> Good luck, and remember to drink a lot of coffee. ;-)
>>
>> Owe Jørgensen
>

> Hi,
>
> The problem is that there's not an option to select the scsi-controller
> as first boot device.  I can boot on the scsi-disc but only if i don't
> have any IDE-discs in it. If I put in IDE-discs it tries to boot to the
> first IDE-disc. The BIOS is very limited in the ProLiant 400.
>
> FreeBSD is already installed on the machine and I don't need to
> reinstall it. The problem is only that it won't boot to the scsi disc if
> I dont write "1:da(0,a)/boot/loader" at the boot prompt every time i
> want to boot it. So I want the boot manager to boot to
> "1:da(0,a)/boot/loader" as default.
>
> / Carl Gustavsson

Sorry for the late reply, but a cute lady tied me up for some hours ;-)

this, if using english as the language in BIOS, should be located under
the advanced menu. if not, then you can set the partitions on the IDE
disks as not bootable. This can be done through sysinstall(8) and
sysinstall's slice editor. When exiting the slice editor, remember to
choose NO BOOTLOADER as the bootloader for the IDE disks. Then use the
slice editor on the SCSI disk, and quit without doing any modifications
to it, other that setting it bootable if nescessary. THEN choose the
appropriate bootloader for the SCSI disk (I would choose the middle one
(can't remember the name), since it will not prompt for any action
during the boot process, which may be a good behaviour if you are having
this computer running as some sort of server).

Have fun, and don't drink too much coffee now ;-)

Owe Jørgensen