Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:36:08 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        "J. Hellenthal" <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/169373: mountd starts to early when exporting fs marked as late

--OZkY3AIuv2LYvjdk

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:42:48PM -0400, J. Hellenthal wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 11:20:05PM +0000, Doug Barton wrote:
> > The following reply was made to PR conf/169373; it has been noted by GN=
ATS.
> >=20
> > From: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
> > To: freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
> > Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
> > Subject: Re: conf/169373: mountd starts to early when exporting fs mark=
ed
> >  as late
> > Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:19:10 -0700
> >=20
> >  Off hand, I don't see any reason that this shouldn't be done. Any thou=
ghts?
> > =20
> >  Doug
> > =20
> >  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D169373
> > =20
>=20
> Personally I can't think of any reason to have a filesystem that is
> marked as mount late exported over NFS.
>=20
> It's usually always the opposite way around ... network comes up -> late
> filesystem is then mounted late.
>=20
> I assume there is probably some other underlying issue here that has not
> been properly described as to why this filesystem has been marked late.

I'd argue that in an NFSv4 or CIFS/SMB world it's inappropriate to
export file systems until after LOGIN.  Fixing that would render this
issue moot.  The reason is that mounts for either of those systems may
require working kerberos and directory services.

-- Brooks

--OZkY3AIuv2LYvjdk

--OZkY3AIuv2LYvjdk--