Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PPPoE Broken ? (was Re: tracking down strange MTU issues with PPPoE)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> OK, just completed some more testing.  Something is definitely really
> strange between FreeBSD's PPPoE and the ERX.  I have 2 FreeBSD boxes in 2
> different locations, both that were working great off Redbacks.  The Telco
> switched out the Redbacks and put Unisphere ERXs in place.  At these 2
> sites, if I take out the FreeBSD boxes and put in either
> Windows 2000,
> Linux 2.4.x
> or a Cisco 827
> all works great.  With FreeBSD, I can browse and fetch data from some
> sites, but not all. The problem sites, transfer rates become bytes per second.
> If I take out those 2 FreeBSD boxes and move them physically to a different
> site where its terminated off a redback, all works as expected.
>
> So it would seem one or some of the following
>
> a) Something wrong with my config
> b) Something wrong with the ERX
> c) Something wrong with FreeBSD's PPPoE implementation as far as the ERX is
> concerned.
> d) Something wrong with my Telco's config.

My guess:
Something wrong with the ERX that doesn't hit the windows machines because
they tested with those.. The PPPOE implementation on FReeBSD does follow
the spec very closely, but it doesn;t act as windows does. This sometimes
upsets equipment that just assumes that the world is windows..

do you have packet traces?

do a tcpdump on the ethernet interface you are using..
tcpdump knows how to handle pppoe.