Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:33:47 +0100
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg and WSXGA

Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:50:10PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 23:36 -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>>> I finally dumped the CRT and bought a ridiculusly cheap 20"
>>> LCD monitor. Works great except I'm having problems getting it
>>> to go widescreen and use the full display area.
>>>
>>> I followed the instruction
>> xinit -- -verbose 9 -logverbose 9
>>
>> It should print out a list of modes that it _will_ validate.
>
> It doesn't really give me any useful additional information
> that I notice. I still don't understand why it refuses to go for
> 1680x1050. The log is attached.

Guessing from the log you should add a Virtaul value to your configuration the
following is from my 2 Screen setup:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier  "Screen LVDS-CRT"
	Device      "ATI Radeon 7500 Mobile LVDS-CRT"
	Monitor     "LVDS Monitor"
	Monitor     "VGA-0 Monitor"
	DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Virtual		3072 1536
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Just add Virtual settings matching your desired resolution. Also, guessing
from your log you should gather as much technical data about the screen as
possible and hack it into a modeline generator. You can test modelines on the
fly with xrandr, before you enter them into the xorg.conf.