Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:31:58 -0500
From:      "Patrick Soltani" <psoltani@ultradns.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   xf86config and Video problems on FBSD 4

Problem:
To get mouse and XFree86 to work.

- To get any of the regular/Microsoft/Logitech/3buttonMouse mice to work
with HP Vectra which has a PS2 Style mouse port .
The mouse cursor never appears or moves, only keyboard navigation when
running /stand/sysinstall->Configure->Mouse
Used /dev/psm0, /dev/sysmouse to no avail.

- When running startx or xinit, I get in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
(EE) VGA(0): No Display subsection in Screen section "Screen 1" for
depth/fbbpp 4/4
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I have tried numerous combinations, again to no avail, using xf86config
utility and manual editing.

HW/SW:
HP Vectra VL, with built in video from Matrox G100.
4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0:
XFree86-Server-4.1.0_1  XFree86-4 X server
128 meg of RAM
ipfw and natd are the only other things running SOLID.

Appreciate any info, pointer, docs, hints, etc.

Best Regards,
psoltani@ultradns.com