Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2007 06:51:44 -0700
From:      "William R. Dickson" <lackey@manoutoftime.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH and Sendmail problems w/ld-elf.so.1 after upgrade

Greetings,

Last night, I performed a binary upgrade on two servers from 4.11 to
6.2. Both servers appeared to have identical configurations, apart
from small differences like perl modules and the like. I built one of
them myself a few years ago; a former co-worker built the other while
I was on vacation, and I have no way to reach him to determine what
he may have done differently.

Both upgrades appeared to work without any trouble. The server I
originally built is operating normally. The server my former co-
worker built is having problems with SSH and Sendmail (and possibly
other things I haven't yet discovered).

Attempting to ssh into the new box results in:

   ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

Watching ssh -d I see:

   debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110
   debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
   debug1: private host key: #0 type 2 DSA
   debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
   debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-d'
   debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
   Server listening on :: port 22.
   debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
   Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
   debug1: fd 5 clearing O_NONBLOCK
   debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
   debug1: rexec start in 5 out 5 newsock 5 pipe -1 sock 8
   debug1: inetd sockets after dupping: 3, 3
   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/sbin/sshd: Undefined symbol "__res_state"

Running sendmail I get:

   # sendmail -v
   /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: sendmail: Undefined symbol "__res_state"

I get the same error when attempting to build openssh from ports.
Building openssl works fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Bill