Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:00:26 -0700
From:      dcmyers@concord.Corp.Sun.COM
To:        "Steve Tracy" <stevet@acs.stritch.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /kernel: ed0: device timeout

>I have switched to a LinkSys Combo PCMCIA EthernetCard (EC2T) and am now
>getting the message /kernel: ed0: device timeout when I try to set the
>cards address with ifconfig.

I've also got a LinkSys card (the 10/100), and I get intermittent ed0:timeout
messages as well, but the card still works.  I've come to the point where
I just ignore them.

On a possibly related note, I happened to trip on the Ethernet cable once,
yanking the whole dongle assembly out from the card.  When putting it back
in, I got a stream of ed0:timeout messages, and the card *wouldn't* work.
Checking the tiny little pins inside the dongle, I saw that I had managed
to bend the rightmost two.  Using a safety pin, I bent them back, and
the card came up again.  What the heck, take a look...

(Considering the very real possibility of future clumsiness on my part,
let me ask this: can one buy replacement dongles from LinkSys?)

-David.