Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 12:23:23 +0300
From:      Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject:   Re: Boot disks insane?

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
|Also, there should be some way to mount old file systems so that you
|can just ftp the files from ftp.freebsd.org to your local hard disk
|(say overnight when you know the load is low) and thenn do the
|install.  As it was, I had to unpack them by hand to get a somewhat
|bootable system.

You mean this is impossible?

Maybe it's not related but I'm planning to help a friend install the
latest SNAP (maybe 2.0.5 ALPHA now that it's out) on a new disk on a
mainly-linux system.  What I planned is to copy the relevant files to
a dos partition and point sysinstall to it when it asks.  (the machine
is not directly on the net so I had to download things through a DAT).

Is this possible?

|All in all, this is a much improved install system, despite my
|complaints about it.  It will likely need some polish around the edges
|before it is ready for 2.0.5R (Sorry Jordan).

Never ran anything before the latest SNAP but I found it very
convenient so far (didn't finish installation due to problems with a
touchy 1542CF SCSI controller + a new cable).

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                      | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.            |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                    |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL          amoss@cs.huji.ac.il |                     -- Anonymous