Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 16:33:47 PDT
From:      "Mutex Records USA" <mut3x@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMI Raid Controller

I'm considering getting some AMI 1400 raid controllers for a few servers.
I understand that they don't support booting, that's fine, I want to have a
disk for system/swap anyway.
My question:
I understand that the AMI card supports hotswapping drives.  Is this
supported by the FreeBSD driver?  If so I am planning on buying some
removable Kingston drive shells (unless someone can reccommend a better
one!)
Also, how would I be notified that a drive has failed? console messages?
/var/log/messages, or wherever kernel error messages are set to go by
/etc/syslog.conf?  The boxes are going to be in colocation about 800 miles
away, so I need to know if a drive has croaked... My hearing is good, but
not *that* good. :)
How does the AMI card perform compared to say, the DPT cards?

Thanks!

adam