Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 02:33:34 +0900
From:      Jeong Seong Won <swjeong@woman.kitel.co.kr>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network connection often stops. Why ?

> >In my company. About twenty of 686 FreeBSD 2.2.1 Machine is connected
> > via FastEthernet.(Intel EtherExpress)
> > Hub is SMC tigerstack.(not a switching)
> > Problem occurs in the same way when I used SMC 9332BDT.
> > Network options         MAXMEM=262144
> > Concurrent User is aboue 230 per machine.
> >
> > Problem is that suddenly telnet session stop.
> >                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > When this happens, all key stokes is not effective, and at last
> > conection is closed.
> >
> > vnode, file table, mbuf, somaxconn is sufficient.
> >

> What speed is the Pro/100B operating in? There is a bug in the
> hardware that can cause the receiver to lockup
> under certain conditions, especially
> if it is operating in 10Mbps/half duplex.
> I have a work-around for this problem in the driver in 2.2.5.

It operates in 100Mbps/half duplex.

$ ./netperf -f M -H menu4 -t TCP_STREAM -l 30
TCP STREAM TEST to menu4
Recv   Send    Send
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    MBytes/sec

 16384  16384  16384    30.01       7.13
$

> Another guess: is it possible that the machine is
> actually crashing, or do things
> return to normal after some amount of time?

It seldom crashes (per two month or so).
Normally, when telnet session stops and is closed, the server
is normal. And stop at one telnet session doesn't have effect on
the other telnet session.

Thank you.