Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:57:52 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin K <kkutzko@teksavvy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Core Xeon /  i386 install w/ more than 4gb of RAM

* Kevin K <kkutzko@teksavvy.com> [080219 14:40] wrote:
> I have a box that we recently installed 16GB of RAM on. The box is i386
> FreeBSD 6.2. It only recognizes 4gb.
>

> I am currently recompiling the kernel to support options PAE (KERNCONF=PAE)
> in order to see this. I understand this is still considered a Beta
> implementation ,and this is a production box.
>

> Does anyone have any alternative solutions that would provide a more
> reliable environment other than PAE?

Besideds PAE some people have mentioned running an amd64 system.

One thing to consider is that PAE in 6-stable (6.3 and beyond)
is considered very stable, so if you can't make the jump to amd64
system because you'd have to recompile too much, you might have luck
updating sources to 6-stable and trying that kernel, then installing
6.3 userland.

good luck,
-Alfred