Date:      03 Oct 2004 20:47:35 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starting apache at boot with SSL.

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:08, Remko Lodder wrote:
> Eric Crist wrote:
> >
> > Remko,
> >
> > My bad.  I'm using apache 1:
>
> Ah, that's a bit of a different story,
>
> Do you use the next generation startup script?
> If so then it would have had the following options
> available to you:
>
> apache_enable="YES" (which you have)
> apache_flags="-DSSL" (which you do not yet have).
>
> This should work according to
> /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/files/rcng.sh
>
> Cheers!
>

> > grog# /usr/local/sbin/httpd -v
> > Server version: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix)
> > Server built:   Jul 13 2004 17:51:03
> >
> > I have apache_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.  I would assume I use
> > apachessl_enable="YES"?  Thanks.

I chose to protect my SSL cert with a passphrase. This makes automatic
startup at boot impossible. I use FBSD 4.10, and apache would normally
start via a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.conf. I just made sure there was
no .sh script for apache, and start it myself using apachectl startssl.
The problem with this setup is that if the server reboots in the middle
of the night the web server does not come on, but this almost never
happens anyway. You have to balance security with convenience to fit
your situation, and I chose security.