Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 95 11:49:34 EST
From:      laubner@ccmailpc.ctron.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install failed on Asus SP3G

     Hi folks,
     i've tried to install FreeBSD 2.0 on my PC. Unfortunately the
     installation failed. I wonder if anybody is able to help me on that ?
     Here's what's going on :

     System is a 486DX2-66 Intel, Asus SP3G Mainboard, 8MB RAM 256K Cache,
     using the onboard NCR SCSI Controller with CONNER 1060S (1GB,SCSI)
     HD and Toshiba 3601B (4.5 x Speed, SCSI CDROM Drive), 1/4" Floppy
     Grpahics Board is Spea Mercury, Standard Keyboard (No mouse connected
     to system).

     Software is from BSDisc (November 94) from InfoMagic

     I made two install disks (rawrite). 1st disk contained a boot_144.flp
     image, second floppy contained a sysinstall (also flp-file). On the CD
     there are two directories called NEWER and OLDER. The directories both
     contained boot_flp and sysinstall. I tried all four possible
     combinations of boot.flp and sysinstall on the two floppies.

     With the newer boot.flp the installation stopped (system reboot) a
     different points (usually after creating the filesystems, in copying
     in kernel).

     With the older boot.flp the installation succeeded, and the first boot
     after that succeeded, and i was asked to insert the second floppy.
     After that (while copying the sysinstall tool) the system rebooted.
     I tried both versions of the sysinstall tool, without success.
     The system did not always boot the kernel and came up to the
     sysinstall stuff. Sometimes (about 3/4 of all tries) it did not boot
     the kernel correct.

     That's where i am now.
     I wonder if somebody can help me on that.
     Thanks a lot.

     Cheers
     Guido
     | Guido Laubner                            Voice : +49 +6039 46120   |
     | Rendeler Strasse 57                      Email : laubner@ctron.com |
     | 61184 Karben                                                       |
     | Germany                                                            |