Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2016 11:55:59 +0200
From:      Ralf Wenk <iz-rpi03@hs-karlsruhe.de>
To:        lausts@acm.org
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 'urtwn' & 'urtwnfw' Devices Unknown in r302145

At Thu, 23 Jun 2016 18:00:14 -0400, Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org> wrote:
> Group:
>
> I have seen recent activity in using the urtwn USB WiFi device and
> thought that I would try using it again.  Both of these devices are
> unknown when including them in a custom kernel for both the amd64
> and arm arch, though the man page for urtwn says they should
> be.  This device seems to work on my FreeBSD 10.3 Release machine.
> I only have a problem with building a BBB-WiFi kernel on FreeBSD
> Current and also building one for the amd64 arch using the same rev.
>
> Tom

All examples are from an "old" RaspberryPi.
Are the needed kernel modules missing?

$ ls /boot/kernel/wlan* /boot/kernel/urtwn*

/boot/kernel/urtwn-rtl8188eufw.ko       /boot/kernel/wlan_ccmp.ko
/boot/kernel/urtwn-rtl8192cfwT.ko       /boot/kernel/wlan_rssadapt.ko
/boot/kernel/urtwn-rtl8192cfwU.ko       /boot/kernel/wlan_tkip.ko
/boot/kernel/wlan.ko                    /boot/kernel/wlan_wep.ko
/boot/kernel/wlan_acl.ko                /boot/kernel/wlan_xauth.ko
/boot/kernel/wlan_amrr.ko
$

Or are they not loaded?

$ kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   19 0xc0100000 87ede8   kernel
 2    1 0xc097f000 22620    if_urtwn.ko
 3    2 0xc09a2000 b234     firmware.ko
 4    6 0xc09ae000 6067c    wlan.ko
 5    1 0xc0a0f000 a1c8     wlan_amrr.ko
 6    1 0xc2c1a000 a000     wlan_wep.ko
 7    1 0xc2c4d000 b000     wlan_tkip.ko
 8    1 0xc2c5d000 e000     wlan_ccmp.ko
$

If they are missing you have to build and install a new kernel with
a extended configuration.

In my old RPi kernel configuration I use in one line:

makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE="wlan wlan_ccmp wlan_tkip wlan_wep
 wlan_amrr wlan_rssadapt wlan_xauth wlan_acl urtwn urtwnfw firmware"

I am unsure about the "MODULES_EXTRA" line. May be you should just add
the missing drivers there.

Ralf