Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:03:06 -0600
From:      Anthony Kim <niceshorts@yahoo.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having trouble with Envelope sender verification

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001, Jim Freeze wrote:

> The original message was received at Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:48:09 -0500 (EST)
> from jfreeze@localhost

> foxgui-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>     (reason: 550-Envelope sender verification failed)

> ... while talking to mail.sourceforge.net.:
> <<< 550-Envelope sender verification failed
> <<< 550 rejected: there is no valid sender in any header line (envelope
> sender is <jfreeze@freebsdportal.com>). Are you sure
> +your domain in From: and/or Reply-To: resolves from the internet (host -t
> MX domain) and can be connected back to for
> +delivery of replies?
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>
> Everything looks valid to me, but I am not sendmail expert.
>
> My sendmail.cf contains
> Djfreebsdportal.com

A lot of people have the same problem:

$ host -t ptr freebsdportal.com.
There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have a Pointer
record.

Also, I noticed another problem with your DNS.

$ host -t ptr mail.freebsdportal.com.
mail.freebsdportal.com is a nickname for freebsdportal.com
There is an entry for this host, but it doesn't have a Pointer
record.

Looking at your reverse lookup zone, I find:
218.9.24.in-addr.arpa.  1D IN NS        ns1.home.net.

I don't know how responsive @home is going to be, sorry.
--
"Le motd juste."