Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:21:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange problems with BIND 9.2.1

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:01:40PM +1100, Iain wrote:

> The main problem is that NOTIFY messages aren't being sent from the master to
> the slaves. However I am also having trouble modifying the logging.

You normally have to put some effort into preventing named sending
notifications.  Usually if you let named default (ie. don't use any
sort of 'notify' keywords in named.conf) then named will send
notifications of any zone update to all of the servers given in NS
records for the zone.

> // reduce log verbosity on issues outside our control
> logging {
>         channel default_channel {
>                 syslog local5;
>                 severity info;
>         };
>         category lame-servers { null; };
>         category "default" { "default_channel"; };
> };

About the only minor nit I can see in that is a slight lack of quote
marks, compared to what the documentation says:

    category lame-servers { "null"; };

but I wouldn't expect that to make a great difference.

You will still see the named startup messages logged to
/var/log/messages, as your customised logging only kicks in after the
whole configuration file has been parsed.  See the documentation in,
for instance:

    file:///usr/local/share/doc/bind9/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#AEN1566

> I can't think why the master server is not sending notify messages. The
> secondaries are defined in the zone files and are setup as slaves.

There's nothing much wrong in what you've posted, and named should be
working in the way you intend.  What does named log on startup?  Any
chance of posting the whole named.conf file?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow