Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 2009 15:37:25 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: snd_hda MFC plan

Quoting Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 06 Jan 2009 =20
11:25:01 +0200):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 06 Jan 2009
>> 00:13:58 +0200):
>>
>>> On most systems having several devices is not a problem, as mostly
>>> used analog connectors are usually detected first. But on some systems
>>> (for example, having separate HDMI ports on video cards, which are now
>>> also supported and often detected first), user may be required to
>>> explicitly configure his audio applications or by using
>>> hw.snd.default_unit sysctl globally specify default audio device he
>>> wants to use. This moment explicitly specified in updated man page and
>>> I am going to specify it in UPDATING.
>>
>> Is there a way to move those HDMI ports to the end (either in pcmX or in
>> the probing) somehow? If yes, it would be more POLA to do this instead
>> of requiring the users to do something.
>
> HDMI ports usually have separate PCI HDA controllers. So order of pcm
> devices there defined by PCI probe order. Two driver instances know
> nothing about each other and I don't like the idea of obtaining such
> knowledge.

I agree... so we don't have a return value for the probe which =20
basically tells that we want to see the probe called for this device =20
again, after all other devices where probed? Would be useful here.

If this is not possible, I think we need something in the release =20
notes about this. Maybe "The snd_hda driver now supports HDMI audio =20
ports of graphic cards. This may result in additional audio devices =20
after an update from 7.[01] and even replacing the previous default =20
sound device. To change the default device in this case do ...."

>> And related: do all detected analog ports appear in a sensible order?
>> What I mean is again POLA related. If someone updates from 7.1 to 7.2,
>> will he be required to do something to get sound out of the same
>> connector as before when connecting to the default audio device? If not,
>> is it possible for you to introduce some corresponding sorting before
>> MFCing?
>
> Order of ports withing one codec defined by hardware vendor via codec
> configuration done by BIOS. That configuration supposed to be optimal
> for the specific system. Taking that previous driver ignored most of
> this information and was less functional, there sure will be some usage
> differences, but most configurations I have seen are quite reasonable to
> work just out of the box.

Should be mentioned in the release notes too. There's the possibility =20
that an user get's a different default device, so we should be able to =20
say "we told you so even in the release notes".

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
But it does move!