Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:57:55 -0800
From:      pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Subject:   Re: Intel EMT64 Xeon vs AMD Opteron

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:41:43 -0700, Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this would depend on your application, but I have hear allot
> of good things about AMD 64.
>
> --Nick
>

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:04:21 -0500, Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Just looking for general opinions and/or advice regarding use of one over
> > the other.
> >
> > Cost wise, AMD Opteron 246 is roughly the same cost as a 3.0Ghz Xeon ... But
> > how do they compare performance wise; specifically related to FreeBSD?
> >
> > (Not subscribed to both lists I sent this to, please reply directly via
> > email and cc the list if you could - thanks)

hard to say w/o knowing what you will using it for.  from my
experience AMD64 seems like it may be better investment for the
future, seing as you are not going to be stuck with a 32 bit proc. in
a year or two's time.  honestly tho it really depends on what you are
going to be processing.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~