Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:43:50 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on Dell 600SC server

I've cracked the case on that 600SC server, and here's what I found.

The motherboard has 3 (!) IDE sockets, identified as primary, secondary,
and tertiary.

The unit we received was cabled as follows: Two hard drives attached to
the primary socket with an 80-conductor cable; CD-ROM attached to the
secondary socket with a 40-conductor cable; nothing attached to the
tertiary socket.

Since FreeBSD hung at boot time with two drives on the primary cable, I
tried shifting the second hard drive to the "tertiary" socket, adding an
80-pin cable just for it. Alas, FreeBSD couldn't see the drive, or even
the third ATA interface, when this was done. (Yes, it was enabled in the
BIOS.)

We got the machine to run FreeBSD and see both drives, but only by
disconnecting the CD-ROM.

Since the Dell is one of the least expensive and most popular low end
server platforms, and does run Red Hat, it's important that FreeBSD
support it properly as well.

Has anyone else worked with this model of machine? Soren?

--Brett Glass