Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:43:43 +0000
From:      Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>
To:        Joseph Mallett <jmallett@NewGold.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

> If you're really lazy and want to be able to do:
> 	telnet smtp://localhost
> I suggest you look into this relatively new invention called
> '/etc/services' and read some manual pages. You'll find you can do
> something quite similar, and much saner.

I'm quite sure that Mr. Sinz wasn't suggesting that telnet smtp://localhost
should do something useful.  Nor do I consider his idea "lazy".  I do think
that he was suggesting, and I concur, that there's no logical reason that
networked file access should be treated differently by user applications
than local file access.

I strongly suggest you read his post again, and think about how nice it is
for a moment that you can mount CODA, 9660, NFS, FFS, UFS, FAT, NTFS, SMBFS,
etc and have user-level programs access their data in exactly the same
manner.

This is not an LSD-induced 'turn freebsd into windows' idea, it's a very
simple extension of ideas that FreeBSD already has in place.

Kevin Way