Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:53:27 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plans for 5.3

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:33:29AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> It's a tar implementation that handles ACLs,
> file flags, sparse files, etc, etc, and might
> be a workable substitute for dump/restore.

With respect, tar variants are not a direct replacement for dump
variants. I suspect that when you said "workable substitute" it should
be read as "substitute requiring a fair amount of work" ;-)

I like tar variants, and I'm sure that star is among the best of them.
Tar isn't always the tool I reach for, though. I want to speak up and
say that I also would  like to see dump/restore support ACLs.

-T

--
If I meet a hundred-year-old man and I have something to teach him, I will
teach; if I meet an eight-year-old boy and he has something to teach me, I