Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:58:36 -0600
From:      Jose Hidalgo Herrera <jose@hostarica.com>
To:        Fangorn <fangorn@o2.pl>
Cc:        jose@hostarica.com
Subject:   Re: Multiple_External_IPs+IPFW+arp_proxy+Dummynet+natd_etc

--=-vGn2IItNWJ20YnNwVnfV

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 06:42, Fangorn wrote:

> Hello!
>=20
> FreeBSD 5.2.1, IPFW(2 of course), 1 ext_if, 2 int_ifs, P200MMX, 96MB,
> HDD 2GB
> I have recently set up a router serving and shaping a small network
> +/-20 clients (mostly wireless, but that's not important, as the AP does
> the job).
>=20
> I do a static ARP, I have quite a simple firewall, of course natd is up
> and running fine. Some pipes and queues pretend to share the traffic
> fairly :). Now my concern is:
>=20
> 1. What is the best way to assign an external IP (I have 4 available) to
> a LAN client machine?
> 2. How (if at all) it affects traffic shaping?

you can:=20
    1) use the other interface for the DMZ ( but you lose 1 ip for the
router's interface)
    2) forward traffic sent to the public ips to private ips
        ej.=20
            ipfw add fwd privateip,80 tcp from any to publicip 80 setup
keep-state

You have the same bandwidth, unless you buy more!

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus!=20
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!

Jose Hidalgo
PGP: 15524480
jose at hostarica.com

--=-vGn2IItNWJ20YnNwVnfV