Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 23:59:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Stratton <nathan@robotics.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulation

Ok, so this all started with I was looking for a search package for
FreeBSD that would like me search through all my html indexed mail. I
found one I liked (webinator), but it supports Linux and not FreeBSD.

So I thought no prob, I will just add Linux support to my box and I will
be set. Well I installed linux lib-2.6 and have a recompiled for linux
support and linux_enable is set to yse in rc.conf, but when I run a linux
binary I get the following error:

skipper:~/robotics/webinator/bin> ./gw
ELF interpreter /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.1 not found
Abort

I find that very odd, because the file is there so I do a:

skipper:~/robotics/webinator/bin> /compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.1
/compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.1: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

I could not think of what was wrong until I remembered that I was running
with SMP support. Could that be the problem? If so, is there a way to get
linux support with SMP? Or, does anyone else know a good search engine for
FreeBSD that supports wild card searches (linu* +FreeBS*   sort of stuff)?

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
http://www.robotics.net	 		nathan@robotics.net