Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 10:50:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: ld.so and emacs problems (fwd)

Doug White writes:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, MDM wrote:
>
>> 1.  EMACS 19.31 will not "start".  I get an error message:
>> ld.so failed:  Can't find shared library "libgcc.so.261.0"
>> I have searched for this file and have found:
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a, libgcc_pic.a, libgcc_p.a
>> /usr/local/lib/libgcc.a
>> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/libgcc/libgcc1.c, libgcc2.c
>
> Hm, I see a /usr/lib/libgcc.so.261.0.  If you're missing it for some
> reason you can grab mine:
>
> ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/libgcc.so.261.0.gz

Unfortunately, it wasn't on the 2.1.5 CD-ROM.

>> 2.  What command generates the locate database
>> /var/db/locate.database ?
>> The locate man page doesn't tell.
>
> Just leave the machine on Friday night, or grab the command line from
> /etc/weekly.

Specifically, it's:

echo ""
echo "Rebuilding locate database:"
locdb=/var/db/locate.database
touch ${locdb}; chown nobody ${locdb}; chmod 644 ${locdb}
echo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb | nice -5 su -m nobody 2>&1 |\
	fgrep -v 'Permission denied'
chmod 444 ${locdb}

>> 3.  I "chsh"ed the root shell to Bash (and also of my normal account), but
>> paths and aliases written in the either the /root/.bashrc ( or the
>> /usr/home/myhome/.bashrc) do not get "accessed" or read or "used".  What's
>> up?
>
> I'm not familiar with Bash, but since it's based on sh I would say it's
> picking up the .profile in /root and ignoring your .bashrc.  The bash man
> page should show which file(s) it wants.

You need to have a .bash_profile for login shells.  It can contain
just a single line:

. .bashrc

> I would HIGHLY recommend changing root back to sh; you won't be able to
> log in if your /usr partition disappears, while a static version of sh is
> in /bin.  You should use su instead of logging in as root.

In fact, when you come up in single user mode, you get a choice of
shell.  Choose sh.

Greg