Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:50:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        roger@gwch.net (Roger Grosswiler)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Partially Solved] Re: FreeBSD 6.0RC1 and WLAN

Boy, you are all about the excess linefeeds, aren't you.

> manpages.
>

> Jayton,
>
> to use ndis successful on freebsd 6.0, you just have to make sure:
>
> - having your windows-drivers for your card
> - that you can read
> - only use ndisgen
>
> ...ndisgen did the trick! great stuff. i could contact yesterday without
> any problem my access-point.
>
> Unfortunately, ifconfig....authmode wpa did not work, so i created a
> wpa.conf and used wpa_supplicant -indis0 -c/etc/wpa.conf -Bw ->
> ifconfig then recognized itself, that there exists a wpa-secured
> connection.

ifconfig foo0 authmode wpa will never work. You must use wpa_supplicant
to use WPA. The process of negotiating an encrypted link takes several
steps, and afterwards more steps are required to periodically update
the keys. It's much easier to drive this process from a user-mode
daemon than from inside the kernel.

Note that you may need to use the "-D ndis" option to wpa_supplicant
to use WPA2.

> BTW. i was not able to change the channel, it stayed on channel 1 with
> ifconfig.

The rule is that NDIS drivers only allow channel changing in ad-hoc
mode. In infrastructure mode, you automatically end up on whatever
channel the access point is using.

Also, there was a bug in if_ndis.c that prevented ifconfig(8) from
displaying the correct channel for the current association. This has
been fixed in -current.

> Also, i could not leave my network, perhaps of pf or routing, but the
> wlan-card must work, because i could connect via wireless the
> access-point.

Can't help you there. If your access point is set up to do DHCP and
your network's routing is correctly configured, things should 'just
work.'

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul@windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose