Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:26:19 +0300
From:      Eugene Dzhurinsky <bofh@redwerk.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java/jdk16 vulnerability?

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:10:48PM +0200, cpghost wrote:
> [Sorry for resending: I didn't get any replies]
>=20
> Freenet (http://www.freenetproject.org/) on my FreeBSD/amd64 system
> complains about an old and vulnerable Java version:
>=20
>   Your installed version of Java is vulnerable to a severe remote
>   exploit (remote code execution!). You must upgrade to at least Java
>   5 update 20 or Java 6 update 15 as soon as possible. Freenet has
>   disabled any plugins handling XML for the time being, but this
>   includes searching and chat so you should upgrade ASAP!
>=20
>   See http://www.cert.fi/en/reports/2009/vulnerability2009085.html for
>   details.
>=20
>   Also, please do not use Thaw or Freetalk. The UPnP plugin is
>   enabled, it might present a risk if you have bad guys on your LAN,
>   but without it Freenet will not be able to port forward and will
>   have severe problems.
>=20
> I'm running java/jdk16:
>=20
> phenom# java -version
> java version "1.6.0_03-p4"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p4-root_08_sep_2009_17_05=
-b00)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-p4-root_08_sep_2009_17_=
05-b00, mixed mode)
>=20
> On 7.2-STABLE:
>=20
> phenom# uname -a
> FreeBSD phenom.cordula.ws 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0: Tue Sep  8 10=
:43:26 CEST 2009     root@phenom.cordula.ws:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  a=
md64
>=20
> Is that version of Java really vulnerable? If yes, why doesn't
>   # portaudit -Fda
> report it as such, and could you please update the java/jdk16 port?

AFAIR, the maintenance of JDK 6 is put on hold due to some licencing issues
with Sun.  You may want to use OpenJDK port, probably that will solve your
problem. As for it's own vulnerabilities - I'm not sure if they do exist.

--=20
Eugene N Dzhurinsky

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--