Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 10:38:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

On Friday, 18 May 2001 at 23:12:53 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Friday, May 18, 2001 7:17 PM, Brian Raynes wrote:
>>
>> And why would programmers on the GPL side fear the BSD license?  Unless
>> I've completely missed something, they could quite easily make use of
>> all the BSD code they like in GPL software.  The idea that nothing in
>> the original is lost if someone uses it elsewhere still applies, for
>> both licenses.
>
> Because, IF your desired goal of GPL is to "virally infect" all
> software to force it to be open, then you would rightly fear BSD
> because it's an alternative.

What does this have to do with reality?  Again, it sounds like FUD.

> Actually, it's not the BSD license that the GPL fears as much as the
> _idea_ of the BSD license.  The BSD license assumes people will do
> the Right Thing and open their code.  There's no hooks in there to
> force people to do it.  GPL on the other hand forces you to open
> your code, and there are hooks to do it.
>
> If you want all Open Source software to be GPL "contaminated" so
> that it will be forced to be open forever, then the last thing you
> want is BSD licensing that allows people to take their modifications
> private.

You're about the only person talking about "contamination".  I wish
you'd stop.  You're just helping polarize the community, something the
rest of us are working against.

Let me give a counterexample.  This polarization is not to our
advantage.  It's not to the GPL community's advantage either.  About
the only group who could benefit by increased polarization in the free
software community is Microsoft.  I note a surprising
Microsoft-centricity in your messages, including typical format
breakage and a lack of trimming which ill befits an author.  Are you
maybe working in Microsoft's interests?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.