Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:31:48 -0500
From:      "Martin Gignac" <freebsd@mobilitylab.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unwanted 24 hour cyclic reboot...

Hi,

After an uneventful reboot I performed last week, one of my FreeBSD servers
has begun rebooting every 24 hours. I have looked at the logs and have not
noticed error messages pertaining to this weird behavior. I have also found
since then that if I reboot the machine myself, the machine will reboot on
its own exactly 24 hours after _my_ manual reboot, and will continue to do so
every 24 hours. I'm pretty much at a loss here as to what is going on. I put
a "catchall" line in my /etc/syslog.conf:

*.*                     all.log

in the hopes that I could find some helpful message indicating why the
machine was rebooting, but to no avail. As far as I can tell, no 'reboot'
command is issued before the machine restarts (at least there is no
indication in syslog). The fact that this occurs exactly (plus or minus 5
minutes) every 24 hours really baffles me.

Any suggestions? Is there anywhere else I can check on the system to try and
find helpful error/informational messages?

Thanks,
-Martin

P.S. The server is running FreeBSD-4.4 STABLE.