Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:35:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is NIC with MAC = ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff OK?

Thanks, but each machine is a dedicated machine.

I did pull the NIC from FBSD and put it in W98 to check to MAC.

It does have a valid MAC.

I then put it back in the FBSD box and did the following on W98

arp -s 192.168.0.1 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

(They are separated by '-' on the pc. duh)

Then tried to ping the FBSD box. No luck.

Also tried

arp -s 192.168.0.1 mac-address-read-from-pc

and tried the ping. Still no luck.

I think, unless someone else has a suggestion, that I am at the end of
my rope and have run out of spare cord.

Does anyone else have a simple gateway/LAN setup. And if so, what is the
MAC on the inside NIC?

Also, my current path is a dead end, then I only see hope by getting a new
NIC. Can anyone suggest a inexpensive NIC? I don't won't to spend $100 for
a 3COM.

Thanks

Jim

On Sat, 2
Dec 2000, Cliff
Sarginson wrote:

> On Saturday 02 December 2000 22:08, Jim Freeze wrote:
> > Windows does not seem to like a MAC of all ff's.
> > Can someone help out here?

> > > and

> > > I'm not sure what you mean.
> > > The second NIC has always had ff:ff... as its MAC.
> > >
> > > Is there anyway to change that?

> > > MAC

> > Jim
> >
> I HAVE seen this before.
> On a dual boot PC (Linux/Windows98).
> It has two NICS.
> Scenario:
>   Boot windows 98 ...
>   "Soft" reboot from 98 to Linux (point is PC is NOT powered off)
>   Both NICS Have "FFF..." as MAC.
>   NIC drivers complain like billio about too many interrupts etc ..
>
> A hard reboot (i.e. with poweroff) and problem is no problem.
> Tested in all combinations of scenarios.
> Conclusion: Windows 98 is leaving NICs in this state, that a soft reboot
> does not fix.
> {Presumable Windows 98 on exit does not clean up after itself .. god knows..
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Cliff

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org