Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:12:16 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 on Librem laptop

On 2020-07-14 10:42, Patryk Cisek wrote:

> On 2020-07-13 11:33 a.m., David Christensen wrote:

>> What is the intended purpose of the laptop?
>
> Are you asking about how I want to use FreeBSD on this laptop? If so, I
> want to learn FreeBSD. I suspect, I'll really like it, so very possibly
> will also be contributing to it. I've been Debian Developer since around
> 2006 and I'd like to broaden my expertise and also get to know FreeBSD
> really well.

>> What is the model number and/or part number of the laptop?
>
> Librem 13v4

>> What are the hardware specifications -- CPU, memory, storage, graphics
>> chip, display, Ethernet, WiFi, etc.?
>
> CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
> 4 cores.
>
> Got 32 gig DDR4 memory
>
> Storage:
> Got 2 drives. 1TB NVMe (fully dedicated to Debian Testing installation)
> 0.5TB SATA SSD (dedicated fully for my FreeBSD installation)
>
> Graphics:
> $ lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620
> (rev 02)
> 00:1f.5 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device 9d24 (rev 21)
>
> There's no ethernet. WiFi:
> $ lspci | grep Wireless
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network
> Adapter (rev 01)

>> Do you want to do multi-boot or FreeBSD only?
>
> Yes, but I'll have a separate SATA SSD dedicated to FreeBSD, so I'll be
> deciding at BIOS stage, which system to boot (another words, from which
> drive to boot). Choosing the drive to boot from is really the only
> choice, SeaBIOS gives you. :)
>
>> Please post the partition table for the primary storage device.  If the
>> laptop has additional storage devices and you want to use them with
>> FreeBSD (e.g. ZFS mirror, raidz), please post their partition tables.
>> Please post /etc/crypttab and/or /etc/fstab if you have a PureOS or
>> Linux installation and want to do multi-boot.
>
> Didn't get to the partitioning phase yet, so the drive is not
> partitioned yet.
>
>> As an alternative, is there a hypervisor available for PureOS?
>
> As I mentioned in my 1st email, I installed FreeBSD successfully a
> number of times in a VM -- that is not a problem. I just wanted to also
> get a bare metal experience.

If your motherboard firmware is current, there are no configurable CMOS
settings, and the 12.1-RELEASE installer does not work, I suggest that
you get a (used) server with ECC memory and several drive adapters/
bays/ racks, install FreeBSD, install services that you need and use,
and run it 24x7.  This will give you the best "real world" FreeBSD
experience.  After that, you will be in a much better position to do
development on or for FreeBSD.

David