Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:17:59 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, iwrTech@iwr.ru.ac.za
Subject:   Re: Monitoring CPU temperature: mbmon shows 201 degrees C

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
>> My office goes to 38C in summer, and all 5 computers just keep on
>> going, using the principles above.  I fitted a fan to the UPS as well
>> (-:
>>

> My box has 3 fans, one on the case blowing from outside=>inside,
> one in the power supply and one on the CPU.
>
> In the evening, i will have the case/board inside blown/cleaned with air,
> i am gonna close the case, and i am gonna tune BIOS to fail-safe settings.
>
> Apart from that, i would like to have a reliable tool to monitor temperature.
> Is there anything in mind?

As you already noticed, mbmon is no good in recent hardware. It works
successfully in my 865-based systems though.
As others have said, I would recommend adding a rear out-take fan. Do
not rely on the PSU's fan to take all the warm air out. The PSU
generates heat on its own, and the fan may not be sufficient. A rear
out-take fan should be located rather high - at CPU height - since warm
air always goes up. This is where most cases have a place for the fan
anyway.

A note for monitoring: If you are using FreeBSD 7.0 and you have an
Intel Core CPU, there is a new coretemp(4) driver that can actually read
the on-die digital thermal sensor. Have a look at man coretemp