Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 10:35:26 +0300
From:      Victor Ivanov <v0rbiz@icon.bg>
To:        Andrew Karjagin <Andrew.Karjagin@newmail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: leased line with pppd

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 10:35:16AM +0400, Andrew Karjagin wrote:
> Hello!
> I want to connect two Unix servers (FreeBSD 4.2 and Linux)=20
> by leased telephone line with leased modems M-160 without=20
> HARD control (www.zelax.ru). Modems connected to serial=20
> ports of servers and they work well and tested. Computers=20
> connect to modems well too. But when I start pppd - it=20
> doesn"t make a connection. I am using following options for=20
> pppd:
>=20
> FreeBSD server: debug noauth persist nodetach lock=20
> nocrtscts nobsdcomp nodeflate local passive
> In file options.cuaa1:
> x.x.x.x:y.y.y.y
> netmask 255.255.255.252
"local"?  Isn't that supposed to be for null-modem cables?
I think you should use "modem" here.  According to pppd(8),
local ignores CD and does not change DTR which is very bad
unless you set your modem to always enable DTR (which is
bad choice also).  Ignoring CD is not good.  You need then
to synchronize the pppd's with the chat script or something.
You'd better enable CD and wait for 'CONNECT'.

Also specifying the speed would be nice.  The default could
be 9600, and probably you don't want it.  If you can
configure the modems to keep the same terminal speed if you
want.  Then set it to 57600 or something (the maximum value)
and everything would be fine.

> Linux client: noauth persist nodetach lock nocrtscts=20
> nobsdcomp nodeflate local
>=20
> In pppd.log file I see that servers send and receive LCP=20
> packets with magic number, but then they show a=20
> message "LCP config-requiest timeout" and stop there trying.
If the modems connect, probably they don't connect to the
same speed if it is locked in the modem setup.  Mose modems
remember it when you save settings to nvram...

> May be anybody do it? What I do wrong? Where can I get an=20
> info about it?
Umm, probably in the handbook?

--=20
Players win and winners play