Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:44:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 03:44:47PM -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> Putting icons in the executable itself is pretty stupid -- it's a single
> instance of something that a window manager can use, and there are much
> less-invasive ways of doing the same thing.

One problem with the traditional hier(7) approach is that the data
for a single application is scattered across the filesystem.  One-file
simplicity is a worthwhile cause for deviation from this tradition.

I agree that putting *only* icons in the executable would be silly,
when one could solve a much bigger problem with relatively little
incremental effort.  I don't see it as invasive, however.

I strongly favor a generalization which adds not a .icon section but
a more general .desk section, and adopts an extensible, well-defined
structure for this section.

I suggest

.desk is
  (
    unsigned annotation_type +
    unsigned annotation_databytes +
    uchar_t annotation_data[annotation_databytes] +
    uchar_t pad[4*((annotation_databytes+3)/4)-annotation_databytes]
  ) *

and a well-known system file defining known annotation_type values.
I think XML is over-engineering.