Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:27:43 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Running rtadvd or DHCPv6 server via if_bridge interface

Am 11.12.2009 um 07:51 schrieb Chris Cowart:

> Bruce Cran wrote:
>> I have a router configured using if_bridge with a 4-port NIC that's
>> serving addresses over DHCP. I'd like to add in either rtadvd or
>> DHCPv6, but neither work because the bridge interface doesn't have an
>> IPv6 link-local address. Is there a way around this, or is it not
>> possible to serve IPv6 addresses over if_bridge interfaces?
>=20
> It's totally doable; you just have to assigned a link-local address to
> the bridge. There are some reasons why one isn't defined by default,
> which somebody more knowledgeable about the challenges in the
> implementation can highlight.
>=20
> Here's my configuration from rc.conf:
>=20
> ipv6_ifconfig_bridge0=3D"2001:470:8337:10::1/64"
> ipv6_ifconfig_bridge0_alias0=3D"fe80::2%bridge0 prefixlen 64"
>=20
> Once you're doing that, rtadvd will start doing the right thing.

I've just stumbled over this the first time.

I thought that best practice nowadays was to use the bridge interface =
for host communications, and leaving the physical interfaces =
unconfigured, so I'm a bit confused why if_bridge would not allow the =
auto-assignment of a link-local address.

If you have two or more bridged interfaces now, and you enable automatic =
assignment of link-local addresses, you already have multiple =
link-locals this way; having the bridge have one as well wouldn't make =
things worse (I think).

Slightly confused,
Stefan

--=20