Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:41:37 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        neal@jennifer.pernet.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADA compiler

Neal wrote:
>I can't for the life of me get this port to work.  It always craps out
>because gnat has moved to version 2.0.7.  I manually ftp'd the file in, and it
>still won't compile.  Gives me a bunch of 'not found' errors.  Apparently,
>it's looking for a previous version of gnat.

I first used the pkg_add to add the 2.03 gnat, then ported 2.03
from the ports collection just to see if it would work.  I did manage
to get it compiled but I forgot what I needed to change.

I also managed to get gnat 2.06 compiled (gnat 2.05 or 2.06 is
needed, along withh gcc 2.7.0, in order to get gnat 2.07 built).
I then built gcc 2.7.0 and gnat 2.07 along with the pthreads
package but couldn't get tasking to work.  I used another FreeBSD
installation on a spare disk to do this because I didn't want to
lose the ability to do a make world which (AFAIK) needs gcc 2.6.3.

The one thing I had to change was to use the GNU make in the
Makefile (gcc top-level Makefile) for anything that was ada-related.;
you can leave the other parts of the Makefile alone.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org