Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:50:38 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld error on recent sources

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 15:20, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:43:32PM -0200, JoaoBR wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 December 2006 15:07, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > =A0/usr/src/lib/libncurses/../../contrib/ncurses/ncurses/ti
> > >nfo/make_keys.c

> > > I bet the date/time on your computer is set incorrectly.
> >
> > firstable thanks and also the bet was good
>
> Good to hear.
>
> > could you be so kind and tell me where you saw it or was it
> > kind of feeling?
>
> I have magic glasses ;-) and some experience with the FreeBSD
> build system.  If you search the mailing list archives, you'll
> see that your case is not new.  The really short version of
> what happens here is that by NOT having the system's date/time
> set correctly, you fool make(1) into thinking it should rebuild
> something when it's not supposed to do it.

mhhhh ... then you have that thing everybody really wants :) but I guess yo=
ur=20
experience is overwriting the glasses ;)=20

I found lots of threads not exactly to my error but related to system build=
s=20
and system time and I haven't read them all, especial since you resumed it=
=20
already. Has it to do with the make delimiters ":" and ";" ?

anyway, the error msg I got is kind of weak here, right?

anyway again, if the date is so important, understandable BTW, why then=20
buildworld does not compare system time and realtime by a simple ntpdate=20
lookup and give out an advice about the risk?

In my case we have people doing the standard CD install and then we do cvsu=
p =20
and build the system. Sure was my fault not checking the date but a simple=
=20
thing to check the time and say "hey, your time/date might be wrong, please=
=20
check." don't you agree?=20

funny then or related, look I did a binary upgrade using sysinstall to=20
6.2-RC1, but by mistake I set RC2, then sysinstall obviously didn't found i=
t=20
and I corrected to RC1. The upgrade run fine and rebooting still appeared=20
6.1-RELEASE

then I did it again setting correctly to RC1 and sysinstall warned about th=
e=20
old kernel .prev and completed well but after reboot there was=20
no /boot/kernel and bootloader failed

both binary upgrades I must have done with bad date. Are this problems also=
=20
related to the date or are they sysinstall bugs, what do you think?

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o