Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:12:25 +0000
From:      "Maarten Sanders" <wifimaarten@hotmail.com>
To:        linimon@lonesome.com
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing xorg on AMD64 without_dri

> > My plan is make install clean the xorg metaport. But, make install exits
> > when trying to make and install dri becuase it won't compile on amd64.
> > Now I have seen there is an 'knob' WITHOUT_DRI but how do I enable this?
>
>You have to understand that you're working on the 'bleeding edge' right
>here -- the patchset that Eric Anholt has worked up is only now being
>tested on the ports build cluster.  When I tested the -1 version of the
>patch, in order to make x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server, I had to set
>BuildXF86DRI to NO and comment out the RUN_DEPENDS immediately above it.
>Eric suggested in email to me that DRI would need further work for both
>the XFree86-4.4 update and the current x.org ports.

What I actually meant was where do I set the 'knob'. Anyway, I added a line
WITHOUT_DRI=YES to my make.conf (does that make sense?) as well as
NO_SUID_ROOT=YES. I then removed all XFree86 packages and I removed imake as
sugessted in the howto on www.freebsdforen.de
Next steps:
cd /usr/ports && patch < xorg-conv-1.diif
make install clean of imake (6.7.0), succes
make install clean of xorg-server, succes
make install clean of xorg metaport, succes
X -configure, succes
pkg_add -r kde3 ()
echo "exec startkde" > .xinitrc
startx...... and YES, succes!

The build was succesfull, I haven't tested everything very well yet but it
appears to be stable/usable.
Next thing will be a portupgrade -a to get to kde 3.2 but then I'll have to
patch with xorg-conv-3.diff because of a open-motif issue. something like
somepath/deve/imake-6/devel/imake-4  appears (diff to the 'anholt' 1/3.diff
files shows this should be resolved now).

> > Other question: after this I want to apply the patch xorg-conv-1.diff
> > and continue to install gnome/kde. Is this the right way to go?
>
>He now has version xorg-conv-3.diff I believe.  See PR ports/68763.
>(The changes are based partly on feedback that I provided from my own
>regression test -- but that only covered XFree86-4.4 itself, and not
>the apps that go with it.  AFAIK, no one has yet build all the apps
>with all these changes yet.)
>
>You should also know that you may well be the first person to be
>testing these changes on amd64.  This is an area under very active
>work right now.

Wow! I'll keep you informed on how I go. If there is any information that
can be of interest to you let me how I can dig it up for you and I'll be
happy to do so.

MSN Search, for accurate results! http://search.msn.nl