Date:      30 Dec 2001 14:37:03 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net> writes:

> I only got the advise: Don't. iThanks for the advise, but since noone
> knew any programs explicitly, I did it anyway.

I did something along these lines which I thought was about zero risk: I
removed my "uucp" user.  Who needs UUCP?  And some security article said
to get rid of unneeded accounts.  It did fine until I tried updating from
4.4-R to 4.5-Pre and discovered that the make files assume the existence
of at least this user and group, and probably several others.  (I've not
missed xten, dialer, ssmsp, news, & staff yet.)  I posted my experience
a few days ago, asking if required users and groups should be
documented, and after seeing the replies to your message, I guess I
should consider myself lucky to have been ignored.