Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:45:07 +1000
From:      "Paul Fraser" <pfraser@gmail.com>
To:        tmclaugh@sdf.lonestar.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unusual sudo / w behaviour - 0 users?

Hi Tom (and ports list by CC),

After an upgrade to sudo v1.6.9 on my 6-STABLE workstation, I've
noticed some interesting behaviour with regards to interaction between
sudo and w.

Check the output below for an example.

[pfraser@odyssey ~]$ sudo -V
Sudo version 1.6.9
[pfraser@odyssey ~]$ w
 7:42PM  up 8 days,  7:46, 1 user, load averages: 0.11, 0.10, 0.15
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
pfraser          p0       core-server01     7:38PM     - w
[pfraser@odyssey ~]$ sudo -s
Last login: Sun Jul 22 19:36:22 on ttyp1
[root@odyssey ~]# w
 7:42PM  up 8 days,  7:46, 0 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.09, 0.15
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
[root@odyssey ~]#

Note there is now no active session listed? If I then drop out of the
sudo session, the problem persists.

[root@odyssey ~]# exit
exit
[pfraser@odyssey ~]$ w
 7:44PM  up 8 days,  7:47, 0 users, load averages: 0.27, 0.15, 0.17
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
[pfraser@odyssey ~]$

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of all the
related systems and can't be of much more assistance (at least
initially), but I'm quite welcome to perform any testing you require.
You may just need to hold my hand a little bit!

--
Regards,

Paul Fraser // Independent Technical Consultant // Ph: +61 405 341 905
// furyc0de.net

This correspondence and any related attachments are confidential.
Distribution, reproduction, or release (public domain or otherwise)
without the author's prior written consent is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN.
Failure to distribute any of the aforementioned without this footer
(intact and unmodified) is also STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. Failure to abide
by these terms and conditions can result in legal action.

If you have received this correspondance in error, or believe any of
these terms have been breached, you are requested to contact the
author immediately and take steps to destroy all copies in your
possession.

PGP KeyID: 0x64E635B1
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu:11371
Key fingerprint: CDA3 0797 68B9 0EC1 D4D3 A7B9 D7D7 4924 64E6 35B1