Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:00:28 -0500
From:      Ned Harrison <ned.woody@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad display name/xserver question

I'm running 5.3-RELEASE-p2.

I am unable to open a terminal window in either windowmaker or the
default twm window manager.  No error messages go to the log files.
However after x crashes there will be output messages to the screen
along these lines:

Xauth: (argu):1:  bad display name "nedsbsd.cox.net : 0" in "list" command

The nedsbsd is something I'm willing to change if needed.  I entered it
months ago when I initially installed FreeBSD didn't know what the
install program was asking for when it asked for a display name. I
figured I could change it later.  I neglected to change it when it
seamed to not cause problems.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.