Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:28:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, fbsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone managed to install FreeBSD on a laptop?

Hi again,
You bet it would be...
I did do that actually. When I tried Gnome it seemed
to work fine.
I then installed KDE for a look at the difference
and after a reboot, the mode has defaulted again!
I checked the X86config file and it was not changed!
Hey I don't understand the spooky nature of this but I
will keep looking into it.
Any ideas???
Thanks Keith

--- "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
wrote: > On Saturday 06 October 2001 23:47, Keith
Spencer
> wrote:
>

> > > That said, switching video modes on a laptop is
> > > ridiculous exercise; unlike
> > > a CRT, an LCD display has fixed pixel positions,
> and
> > > lower resolution modes
> > > are either simulated with resampling (looks
> awful)
> > > or by just darkening the
> > > output pixels (shrinks the display).  So there's
> > > little poin . . ..
> >
> > Well yes there is, because X picks the first
> config
> > that works and that is 620x400 at 8 bits...it
> looks
> > crap! The laptop screen looks best (Toshiba
> 2510cds
> > Satellite) at 800x600 24 bit
> > Thanks though
> > Keith
>

> Ah.  Well, the better solution to that is to edit
> your XF86Config file so
> that it starts up in the correct video mode.  Just
> list the right one first.
>
> Otherwise you'd have to switch video modes every
> time you start up, and that
> would get darn tiresome.
>
> --
> Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .