Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2017 20:16:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, gshapiro@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

On  6 Dec, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to propose the deprecation then removal of sendmail in base.
>
> Deprecation will happen in the form of FreeBSD 12.0 being built WITHOUT_SENDMAIL
> by default
>
> removal would happen in FreeBSD 13.0
>
> sendmail in base it not really usable as a full featured mta due to the fact it
> does not support anything an entreprised grade mta setup would require: ldap
> support for example, check the number of options available in the sendmail port.
>
> Users for that use case would be better served by the port version of sendmail.
>
> The other kind of users are the one using the default setup of sendmail:
> relaying emails externally and deliver locally.

I've found that sendmail in base meets my needs.  I haven't had the need
for any of the features that are only available in the port.

It doesn't looks like dma(8) would be useful for me on my primary
machines since I basically need its inverse.  It would only be useful
on my headless machines to forward cron-generated mail to my mail
server.  I don't do any local delivery of mail to mbox files.  My mail
server delivers all mail to cyrus-imapd via lmtp, which is a fairly
simple tweak to the sendmail.mc file.  I also have a couple of mail
relays that do some smart routing and spam filtering.

One thing that is comes with sendmail in base but is missing from the
sendmail port is all the handy stuff in /etc/mail, such as the
freebsd.mc template, the aliases file, and the Makefile which makes
maintaining the config files and the .db files much easier.  Without
this stuff, setting up the sendmail port would be much more
intimidating.