Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:30:03 -0800
From:      "Southwell" <vizion@ptialaska.net>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IEEE 1394 Firewire issues

Ok Guys

Help needed  -- I would be grateful for any information which would be
useful for a project to provide IEEE 1394 (firewire support) on FreeBSD 4.0.
In particular to start with
the Texas Instruments OHCI compliant controller. If it cannot be done with
that chip then  I will look at other controllers.

At this stage I do not have enough information to know whether the project
is viable.

Someone (Mike) mentioned on the -stable list that there could be some patent
issues involved - any further information on those dangers would be
appreciated.

This is a not for profit project. At the moment I am trying to build a
library of useful information on the topic. This includes data relating to
file
definitions (AVI Type 1 & Type 2) and peripheral topics (e.g. camcorder
information) as well as information relating to Firewire controller PCI
cards, chips and pcmcia interfaces.

If you have any info which might be useful please email me direct -
vizion@ptialaska.net as well as to the list.

Thanks in advance - all help will be acknowledged.