Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 11:23:29 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why does PORTS SUCK so BADLY!?

"Rahul Dhesi" <dhesi@rahul.net> wrote in message
news:20000501060813.82C1899F31@waltz.rahul.net...

| I have encountered the following problems with ports:
|
| - Doing "make" in some ports directories requires X-Windows to be
|   installed even though the software will be used from the command line
|   only.  It's possible to suppress this with various defines or

[snip]

So what is the workaround for this and/or where is it documented?  This *is*
supremely annoying, especially when I want to use something like expect or
plotutils and not carry X Windows baggage around.  I don't use X Windows on
my machines and deliberately don't install it.

I don't know who I suggest this to, but it would be EXCELLENT if there was a
flag someplace that would keep X Windows from being built, ever, even if it
halted building ports that wouldn't respect the flag.  I imagine the ports
that build with X but don't actually need it would have to be tweaked to
work around this.

Other than that, I give ports 8 out of 10 stars.