Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:20:10 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        bde@freebsd.org, wpaul@freebsd.org, rnordier@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   README.serial update?

From time to time people ask questions about the serial console.  As
README.serial is buried deep inside the kernel source tree, it's almost
time to have a decent text on the serial console in our handbook.

I am reformatting README.serial so that it can be included in our
handbook, and adding bits and pieces to clarify things.  I haven't
finished it yet, but would like to have your comments now, so that we
can make it more informative and useful.

I put up the HTML version in:

	http://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/serialconsole.html

and the SGML version in:

	ftp://www.freebsd.org/~yokota/serial-console.sgml

Please have a look and send me comments, corrections, additional
useful text, relevant pointers, etc.

Some notes:

- The text describes FreeBSD versions 3.0 and 3.1 or later.  Version
3.0 doesn't have our new boot loader, so there is a note in the
introduction section about it.

- Because there are many differences regarding the serial console
setup between 2.X systems and 3.X systems, I don't directly deal with
2.X systems in this text.

- I am not a SGML expart ;-< formatting and links may be wrong.

- Some sections are not yet finished :-)

- The chapter number is arbitrary.  When this text will be eventually
included in the handbook, I expect Nik will put it somewhere suitable
and give appropriate chapter number.

Thank you.

Kazu

PS: I don't subscribe to the doc ML.  Please send mail to the hackers ML
or to me directly.