Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:30:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

In message: <200204200256.g3K2uOu10038@sheol.localdomain>
            hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr) writes:
: IMHO, you muddy, if not nullify, the abstract altogether. You are advocating
: copying this file down to /etc, and editing it. There goes the concept of
: "overriding the values contained in this file".

Yes.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf are separated because we
wanted to change the defaults from time to time.  I agree that copying
/etc/defaults/rc.conf is a horrible idea.  Down right stupid and
should never be advocated.  *EVER*.  We had that paradigm in FreeBSD
1.x and 2.x and it *DID*NOT*WORK*.  That's the whole reason that we
separated things out into two files.

Warner