Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:06:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

:
:>     The problem with that 92K of data space is that it contains
:>     data elements for the entire libc library, not just the
:>     pieces you use.  The result is that even if you only use a
:>     small part of libc, you will still wind up dirtying many of
:>     those pages due to the fact that the few elements you do
:>     use are spread all over that 92K of data space.
:
:You might want to check this, actually.  How much statically initialised
:data is there in libc?  Not much. 8)  You may touch a lot of that 92k,
:but you're not going to COW very much at all, so you still get the LOR
:benefits.

    As far as I can tell, Mike, *I* am the *ONLY* one posting actual
    test results on this topic.  Maybe you should run your own tests
    rather then just assuming I am wrong and telling me to run more.

					-Matt